Iraqis are very interested in what's going on in Lebanon right now. Why? Because it's the same thing that's happening in their country. Of course there are differences between the histories of how both countries got to this point, but both conflicts digest down to one concept. Israel and America support increased liberty around the globe, while Islamic fundamentalists
Iraq the Model explains the similarities between the conflicts and why they are so interesting:
- A weak government is having a hard time standing up to a lawless 'militia'.
- The everday citizens are the ones that suffer, this is the fault of the insurgency, and they couldn't care less.
- The predominant powers in both countries (US and Israel) are having a difficult time restoring order.
- Iran is involved up to its neck in both conflicts. It may have overstreched itself this time...
- The terrorists will stop at no provocation to continue to stoke the fires of conflagration in the Middle East--until they come to power.
Every important party in the region and in the world, except the radical Islamists in Tehran and their clients in Damascus, wants Hezbollah disarmed and removed from south Lebanon so that it is no longer able to destabilize the peace of both Lebanon and the broader Middle East.FreeIraqi, from Baghdad, sees the conflict against Iran, Syria, and their terrorist minions as the only way to lasting peace and liberty for the people of Iraq and Lebanon, and even for the oppressed people of Iran and Syria.
Caroline Glick makes the following very clear statement about Iran's intentions:
Iran's proxy war against Israel follows the same strategy as its proxy war against the US in Iraq. In both cases its goal is to defeat its enemies through a prolonged war of attrition that will defeat the will of the Israeli and American people to fight to victory.Regarding Israel, Thomas Sowell writes (and it is just as germaine to Iraq):
There is no concession that will bring lasting peace to the Middle East because the terrorists and their supporters are not going to be satisfied by concessions. The only thing that will satisfy them is the destruction of Israel.
IraqTheModel sees the solution as equally clear cut:
The hesitation of the international community can be so dangerous and the intentions of the axis of terror are so clear. That's why firm and resolute measures have to be undertaken against Syria and Iran who are directly responsible for the mess in Iraq, Lebanon and Palestine.I agree.