Thursday, October 19, 2006

Greatest Hits - Volume 1


As I realized that the number of posts on my weblog has reached 100, I thought it might be fun to go back in time and share with you some of my favorites.

I started last December with a post about settling a dispute between two groups of Iraqis, and I wondered whether anyone would ever be interested in reading what I had to write. Actually, I wondered if I would have very much to write about. The statistics aren't great, but they're much better than I ever imagined.

Friday, December 23, 2005
Maybe They Really Do Hate Us...?
Since long before I was assigned to active duty and came to Iraq, the western news organs have been publishing all kinds of negativity about Iraq, including that most Iraqis hate [the US Military] and want us to go home. But [this is not what I have experienced.]

Since so few of them actually hate the military, what is it, if anything that they hate about us? (Actually there is quite a bit...) Read More...

Saturday, December 03, 2005
Which Part of Iraq did al Zarqawi Grow up In?
The answer: he grew up in Jordan. Abu Mousab Al Zarqawi is NOT an Iraqi. So what is he doing here? Many think it would be best if he went home. (Even though the wicked witch is dead, these insights into the mind of a terrorist are still very interesting.) Read More...

Monday, January 02, 2006
America and the Higher Standard
Why is it that there was such a public outcry when the Abu Ghraib scandal erupted in Iraq, but there was little similar dismay at the torture that was a routine part of the Saddam Hussein regime? It is in large part due to expectations. Read More...

Saturday, February 11, 2006
Iraq, Oil Scarcity, and Gas Lines
You wouldn't think that in a country that has a huge oil production potential that there would be gas lines. But there are. Read More...

Wednesday, March 29, 2006
Do You Speak out Against Oppression?
We shouldn't be surprised that very few in Afghanistan or Iraq spoke out against the treatment of Christian Abdul Rahman. They didn't for the same reason that any group of people doesn't speak out about any important issue--fear of the violent, vocal minority. Read More...

No comments: